Monday, October 5, 2009

Thursdays Poem

Reading and analyzing the poem we read in class was a fun assignment. When I first saw the title, I was like wow a poem about an onion. But when I read through it the first time I started to think that the poem was about some of the things that we all take for granted. Since the poem was about food, I started thinking about all the different fruits and vegetables we eat every day. Not thinking about the farming that went into getting us those fruits and vegetables or about the manufactures that had to pack and ship it, so all we have to do is go down to the local grocery store.
Then I read it for a second time and stopped thinking about food and started to think about parents and/or friends. What I mean is that sometimes we take our parents or friends for granted, without even wondering about their life history. Also, I started thinking about how people look back on their life as a finished product and forget about the things that went into their life to get them where they are now. Just like in the story when they eat the finished product and think about the meat that went in, but forget about the taste that comes from the onion added to make the finished product.
Another thing that helped me analyze the poem was getting into new groups and hearing different people’s views and understandings of the same poem. An example, a girl in my group told me how she understood the poem to be talking about woman’s rights. At first I didn’t understand where she was going with this thought but then she explained about how woman used to have no rights. So woman were like that onion, no one worrying about their history and not realizing the major influence woman put on the world.
After all of this I came to believe that there is no correct way to analyze this poem, it is all about the readers personal views.

1 comment: