Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Messy Room

I had so much fun writing my last blog that I thought that I should write another just like it. In my last blog I wrote about how I was going to read a poem and try to get what the author really meant. The poem was “A dream within a dream”, it really tough at first, but then I felt like I got a good understanding of the message of the poem.

This time I chose a different famous poem to try and get an understanding of what the poet was trying to say. The poem is a very interested one, it is called “messy room” by Shel Silverstein.

Messy Room by Shel Silverstein

Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
His underwear is hanging on the lamp.
His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair,
And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp.
His workbook is wedged in the window,
His sweater's been thrown on the floor.
His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV,
And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.
His books are all jammed in the closet,
His vest has been left in the hall.
A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed,
And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall.
Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
Donald or Robert or Willie or--
Huh? You say it's mine? Oh, dear,
I knew it looked familiar!

My first time reading this poem I started to think it was about a kid with a really dirty room, then I read it a couple more times and got a couple different views. I think this poem is open, meaning that people can come up with many different understandings of what the poet is trying to get across. One of my understandings after reading this poem a couple times is that the poet is trying to talk about how we judge everyone else without realizing that it is actually us that have the same problems. What I mean is that people are saying how wrong something is without realizing that they themselves are the ones that are in the wrong.

The next understanding I got from this poem after many times of reading it was about the earth. Saying how someone could talk about all the problems that others are doing to the earth without realizing what they are doing to it.

This was a fun poem to read and try to get an understanding of what the author meant. The different tools I have learned in this class have helped me a lot in forming understandings of different poems.

1 comment:

  1. good job mark, very interesting concept about relating the poem to the earth. When i was in middle school i had to recite this poem for a competition.

    ReplyDelete