Monday, September 28, 2009

The Painting


This painting that I made is supposed to be of Jesus on top of a hill, showing his power and grace to his people. The person at the bottom of his hill is supposed to be a follower of Jesus looking at him and knowing that the time has come for his return to the earth. I got the idea to paint this from the part in Joel were it says…
“Before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be delivered; For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem There will be those who escape, As the Lord has said, Even among the survivors whom the Lord calls”.
For some reason when this assignment was given for everyone in the class to pick out something they liked most from the book of Joel and paint it, I stopped and thought about this part of the story. When I first read the book of Joel, I found that this was the part of the story that caught my attention the most. I like this part of the story the most of any because it shows that the day of the Lord is coming and it is soon, it also states that those who are believers will be brought by the Lord into the kingdom of God. “…whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be delivered;” This was a fun assignment for me because it got me to take my thoughts and my understanding of the text into a painting, while it also got me to try to in vision what this day is going to look like when the Lord comes for his people.
Questions
1. What are your interpretations of this part of Joel?
2. What do you think of my painting?

3 comments:

  1. hey mark, you did a great job! i really enjoyed the panting, it really brought out that passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great painting because it displays one's own insight into something another may not have imagined. I remember learning in one of Dr. Houlihan's classes that noise travels forever into space, and if they could invent a machine to pick up all the words ever spoken, we could even hear the very words of Christ. I think in the same our own imagination exists, and must be put into mold just as your painting has.

    ReplyDelete