Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When LilacsLast in the Dooryard Bloom'd

a) I found most of this poem to be very challenging for me. The language was very Shakespeare sounding to me. For example:
"O what shall I hang on the chamber walls?
And what shall the pictures be that I hang on the walls,
To adorn the burial-house of him I love?
b) I understood this to be a poem about the time during the civil war but the author makes it seem like the soldiers that died during the war had it easy or something.
h) I overcame the difficulty of reading this poem by going online and reading different peoples interpertations of the poem. I really was struggling reading the poem till I read what others were getting out of the poem and once I saw what they were saying in the text, it became easier to read and kinda understand.

2 comments:

  1. I agree this was one of the harder poems to read, but good job on looking up the meaning. Good work Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem was not the easiest to understand, and for this reason I believe the author wants the read to ponder on each line, in order, to grasp his hidden intent and meaning.

    ReplyDelete